Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Admitting to my addiction

Hi. My name is Samantha and I have an addiction. I am addicted...to blogs!

Hi Samantha

It all started about 3 years ago when I got pregnant and I became paranoid that I knew NOTHING about children and parenting. I went to the web, (which at that time I only used occasionally to check email), I searched pregnancy and holy moly had a plethora of different websites for moms and moms-to-be. I got hooked to a couple, a couple that I don't even remember the names of them. One that I'm still hooked to, to this day is Club mom. I like Club mom because they had forums where you could ask other moms questions or get their opinions on particular issues. The blogs didn't interest me yet, I had heard of blogs in the past, but I always thought 'why would I care about hearing about other peoples opinions, they're like assholes right and I deal with enough of those already.' And it wasn't until Jordan turned 1 that I came across a particular blog that I became very, very fond of. 'Purple is a Fruit' was the name of said blog. Linda, or Sundry, who lives on the other side of this country, blogged about her son Riley, who is just a couple weeks younger than Jordan. Well the more I read Linda's blog, the more I felt myself relating to her. Then I found myself clicking on other blogs that I found myself relating to. "Hey, this is really cool, I'm not insane, I'm not the only one who has a kid that seems to be puking, pooping and sleeping too much, I'm not the only one who wonders if she's doing an OK job at the parenting thing, I am a normal person." Some may argue on that last one.
Then last December I decided I wanted to bore people tell people about my life. Haven't figured out why though yet, but it's fun nonetheless. I guess I mostly started this blog so that in the future I could go back and read about what I'd done, what I was like etc. etc. And to laugh at myself. And it's also a great way for family members who live away to feel more close to us and know what's going on in our daily lives. But then last Saturday night I was up until 2 in the morning. Doing what you ask? Of coarse blogging. This is when it became apparent to me of my addiction. I then thought it out in my head. Ya know, this is why the laundry piles up more now, this is why I'm always so tired. This is why I feel like I can't get anything done, this is why I'm not as efficient at my job as I use to be. OH MY GOD, I've got a real problem here....

Now, let's turn this into a positive and what I can do with my addiction. Last week on the today show they did a segment on Mommy Bloggers, in case you missed it, you can view the segment here:

The part about this segment that I keep thinking about is that these women are making money, good money to do what I am doing. My addiction could make me money? Shyah! So, today when my employer handed out letters stating the word, CONSOLIDATION, and he told me not to panic, I said OK, because if something does happen and I get laid off, then I'm going to take it as a message from God that I should be a SAHM and get paid to blog. Hell yeah!

Now I'm just a beginner at this blogging stuff, so I really would have no idea of where to even start. So, now I'm hoping for some help from my other blogger addicts. And I'm hoping that one day in the future I can look back at these posts and say, "Huh, remember when I went to rehab for that stupid addiction. I'm sure glad I took that addiction and did something good with it."

7 comments:

Kristin.... said...

Hmmm. I don't know anything about getting paid for what is our shared addiction, but when you find out, spread the love. Because with 4 kids, two homes and 1 income, I could use it! :)

Unknown said...

When my husband introduced blogging to me, I wondered the same thing...why do I want to spend time reading about someone else's life? And here I am now with my own blog and I love to read what other moms are going through. Too funny! I love keeping my family and my husband's family up to date with my blog. And I love having the record of what our family is going through. Yay for blogging!
And yes, I am exhausted and it is late, but what am I doing instead of sleeping? You guessed it!

Anonymous said...

Hey ~ I have a friend who blogs and she gets paid for hers. What happens is they post adds on your page. And when people visit your page for every so many times the ads load you get a percentage. You really need heavy traffic on your page to really make anything. But I could have you get in touch with her to ask her questions if you would like.
Kristen Krueger

Anonymous said...

I would not know any thing about getting paid to blog. But your in journalism or television right? I bet with your literary skills you could do it. I think the key is advertising and getting lots of traffic by participating in wordless wednesday etc.
I have been blogging since my youngest was about 8 months old (she is now jsut about 3 1/2) it started out as a way to share with family far away and has become into more of a journal of our life and all. I enjoy it and I love to read about other moms, especailly those who are in Maine like myself.
Take care and I will hope this consolidation thing pans out for the best for you and yours.
Rose

Anonymous said...

I hear ya lady! I'm officially addicted too...

Swistle said...

Bloggers who get paid to blog are like golfers who get paid to golf: there ARE a few, but for almost everyone it's a hobby. Even with a big readership and an ad, it's not enough to pay for cable television.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.