Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Baby Talk, Baby Talk...

Momma, Momma, Momma, Momma, Momma.......
Dadda, Dadda, Dadda, Dadda, Dadda.....
Pffffft, Pffffft, Pfffffft.....
Grace...would you like a drink?
(shakes head yes)
Grace...can you say drrriinkk?
Pfffffft.
Say drrrriiiiiiiiink
Pffffft.
Drrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnkkkkk!
Pfffffffffft. PFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTT!!!!!!!
Oh I give up...here's your drink.

At Grace's 18 month check up one of the things I asked the doctor about was the fact that she wasn't talking much. He said no worries, let's wait until her 24 month check up, then we'll talk about if we should be concerned and what we could possibly do.
24 month check up arrives and she has maybe said 2 more additional words. Nobody else seems to be concerned and others around her pick up on more words that she's saying than I am. Which when they point it out, I can understand it, but maybe I'm more concerned with her speech rather than lack there of.

She can definitely hear well, and she's smart, but comparing her to her brother and other kids her age (I know it's not the best thing to do) I just don't feel comfortable with what she's saying to us. In the morning I try to get her to say "Up". "Grace, can you say uuuuuupp. Uuuuuuuupp. Say Uuuuuuuuuuppp." All I get is open arms and bouncy legs. When she wants to get down from the table. "Grace, can you say down? Dooooooowwwnn. Say Doooooooowwwn." All she does is points to the floor. I've tried the baby sign. We've tried the "all done" sign. The sign for "milk" "hungry" "help" and all we're getting is tired hands.

Dadda, Momma, Jor, Bubba, Papa, Mimi, Ball, beep, bus, mine, me, eat, ouch, uh-oh, boo-boo, apple, baby...those are most of the words that she say. There's a couple that she's said here and there. Her doctor doesn't seem too concerned, but he said he would put in a referral for a speech test to be done. My mom & Darric's mom aren't concerned and she is slowly getting some words out, but they don't sound as clear as I feel they should be. I keep debating in my head on taking her or not. For 1, it's kind of expensive and 2 what if we get in there for them to tell us yeah she's fine, give her some time. But, I also don't want to wait too long and have her get into school and have problems. Decisions, decisions.

No comments: